Military/Emergency/Government 2023-02-21 10:28:42
£24191 – £32244/annum
HP20, Walton, Buckinghamshire
Wholetime Firefighter (Apprentice)
Reference: VAC(phone number removed)
Location: Headquarters, Stocklake, Aylesbury, HP20 1BD
Salary: £24,191 – £32,244 a year
Hours: Full time, 42 hour week
If you need more, becoming one of our Wholetime Firefighters can offer you a rewarding, exciting and varied career.
Our crews respond to a whole host of incidents, major and minor; from road, rail or air crashes, floods, chemical spills, and fires to rescuing people trapped in confined spaces. When they are not answering the call for help, they play an active role in the community through safety advice events, education activities and campaigns.
About the role
As well as being physically fit enough to pull ladders, run hoses and wear breathing apparatus, our firefighters need a range of personal skills such as understanding, reliability, flexibility, and the ability to work as a team.
Our Wholetime Firefighters work various shift patterns, these currently include days, nights, and weekends.
The salary we offer is in line with national pay scales at the time of this advert:
* Basic annual wage for a trainee firefighter is £24,191 during the initial basic training.
* This rises to £25,198 (annual wage) for a development firefighter. This continues until the end of the development programme.
* Once competent the firefighter role attracts a salary of £32,244 (rising to £37,080 for those working on our flexi-firefighter duty system).
We run a flexible and sustainable workforce that maximizes the contribution of all employees to changing service needs. All successful candidates can enhance earning potential through extra shifts.
It is our philosophy to embed equality, diversity, fairness, and inclusion into everything that we do. We view this as fundamental to achieving our vision of making Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes the safest areas in England in which to live, work and travel.
Who are we looking for?
There are some basic eligibility criteria you must meet before you can apply to become a firefighter.
* Be at least 18 years old by the end of September 2023.
* Hold a full UK driving licence (you must have passed test by completion of your application).
* Live within 20 miles of the Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes border.
* Have Level 2 Functional Skills (basic and key skills builder function) BKSB or GCSEs in Maths and English Language A* – C (9 – 4). Proof of Certificates held will need to be provided. Please ensure you can provide these as they will be required to complete your application.
* Be a confident swimmer.
We also look for candidates who have:
* A ‘can do’ attitude.
* A keen interest in the fire and rescue service.
* A willingness to learn.
* The ability to communicate effectively with a range of people.
* The ability to work in a team environment.
* The ability to achieve a good level of physical fitness.
* The ability to follow instructions.
* The ability to think about the bigger picture in a dynamic and challenging environment.
* Firefighter Pension Scheme
* Good annual leave entitlement
* Employee benefits
* Employee Assistance Programme
* Occupational Health
* Free onsite parking
* Onsite gym facilities
If you would relish the opportunity of working for an innovative, forward thinking, progressive fire and rescue service, that encourages developing a range of skills to help serve the community, then we would love to hear from you.
Closing Date: Midnight on 26th March 2023
If you would like to find out more, please click the apply button. You will be directed to our website to complete your application for this position.
No agencies please